Ha-seong Kim can’t get a goal from second base? An ironic fate, a competitor who learned from the same teacher is the ‘biggest obstacle’

It was predicted that Bryson Stutt (26, Philadelphia Phillies), who was a finalist in the National League (NL) Gold Glove second baseman category along with Ha-seong Kim (28, San Diego Padres), would win the award. This is the claim of Philadelphia local media. 도메인

On the 20th (hereinafter Korean time), ‘NBC Sports Philadelphia’ of the United States said, ‘Philadelphia has four players selected as finalists for the Gold Glove Award,’ and ‘Stott is likely to win the award in the NL second baseman category. ‘Other final candidates include Nico Horner (Chicago Cubs) and Ha-seong Kim.’ 

Next, ‘Stott ranks first among second basemen in OAA (Outs Above Average), a Statcast indicator, with +16. He provided the basis for claiming the Stutt Award by saying, “I ranked tied for 5th place across all positions.” OAA is followed by Stutt, followed by Horner (+15) and Kim Ha-seong (+10). 

However, the Gold Glove is not awarded to OAA. Major league managers from 30 clubs and up to six coaches per team account for 75% of the votes, excluding players from their teams. The remaining 25% is reflected in the Society for American Baseball Research (SABR) Fielding Index (SDI), and as of the last update on August 14, Kim Ha-seong (8.3) surpassed Stadt (6.4) and Horner (5.7) to rank 1 among NL second basemen. It was above. It is ahead in actual indicators reflected in voting. 

The proportion of subjective evaluations is much higher than objective records. On the 7th of last month, ‘Baseball America (BA)’ announced the best tools in each field for the 2023 season through voting by current managers, scouts, and senior executives, and Kim Ha-seong ranked first in the NL second base defense category. Horner was 2nd, Aji Albis (Atlanta Braves) was 3rd, and Stutt was not in the rankings. 

Stutt also hid his desire for the Gold Glove. In an official interview ahead of Game 3 of the NL Championship Series on this day, Stutt said about being a finalist for the Gold Glove, “It’s really cool, but it’s not the trophy I want. Now, my eyes are on a bigger trophy with the team. “I like individual awards, but it’s not something I particularly want,” he said. 

Philadelphia is currently facing the Arizona Diamondbacks with 2 wins and 2 losses in the NLCS and is looking to advance to the World Series for the second year in a row. As last year’s event ended in second place, Stutt has a greater desire to win. He emphasized, “It is important now to focus on the team and play our game.” 

Stutt, a right-handed pitching left-handed infielder who was drafted by Philadelphia with the 14th overall pick in the first round of the 2019 draft, made his major league debut last year. He played well as a shortstop for one season, but when free agent Trey Turner joined with a large contract worth $300 million for 11 years, his position was moved to second base. He has successfully settled into the second base position this season and is building a special keystone combination with Turner. 

It’s the same middle infielder, but it’s a completely different position and I needed to get used to it. In the process of changing positions, Stutt expressed his gratitude to infield coach Bobby Dickerson for teaching him the defensive skills necessary as a second baseman, such as one-handed play and base coverage. Coach Dickerson, who was an infielder during his active years, also has a special relationship with Ha-Seong Kim. In 2021, as San Diego coach, he coached Ha-seong Kim’s defense.

In an interview with ‘The Athletic’ on the 9th of last month, Ha-seong Kim said of Coach Dickerson, “He helped me develop a big league-level defense and grow a lot as a player. “I think it’s a special relationship,” he said. Coach Dickerson, who recalled, “Kim Ha-seong’s eyes always sparkled, and he listened to what I said,” moved the team to Philadelphia last year and developed Stadt into a Gold Glove-level defender in two years. 

This year, Stutt achieved an upgraded performance in batting, with a batting average of .208 (164 hits in 585 at-bats), 15 home runs, 62 RBIs, 31 stolen bases, and an OPS of .747 in 151 games. In this postseason, his record dropped somewhat, with a batting average of .206 (7 hits in 34 at-bats), 1 home run, 7 RBIs, and an OPS of .576 in 10 games. However, in Game 2 of the Wild Card Series against the Miami Marlins on the 5th, he left a strong impression with a bases-loaded home run in the 6th inning.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *